COMM'ON collaborated with the Municipality of Anogia in Crete for the design and implementation of a participatory workshop for the youth community (age 10-16) of the village.
The goal was to harvest children's needs, wishes and ideas for culture, sports and other extracurricular activities! The Municipality of Anogia will use this input to design activities for the following school year.
When: 1-10 February 2022
Local Collaborations: The project is implemented by the non-profit organization COMM’ON in collaboration with the Municipality of Anogia
With the support of Anogeia Primary School
Want to know more about Anogia?
Anogia, population 2.374, is located between Heraklion and Rethymnon, at an altitude of 750m built on three levels in the ridge of Armi, on Psiloritis Mount. Its name means a place built on high level.
The area of Anogia was a very important place of worship in antiquity, as the cave of Ideon Andron in nearby Nida Plateau, was according to legend, the cave where Zeus was raised as a child. Also nearby is still the sacred spring of Agia Marina and the small palace of Zominthos, worshiped in the Minoan era.
Anogia was mainly inhabited in the 12th century, when it was granted by the Byzantine Empire as a fief to the family of Kallergis. During the Ottoman period, Anogia was a “wakf’ village dedicated to Valide Sultana, the wife of the Sultan. At the same time it gave birth to famous rebels who participated in almost all revolutions in Crete. The high mountainous geography of Psiloritis kept the Turks away and gave refuge to the rebels, even when the Turks burnt out the village in 1822 and 1867.
The free soul of Anogians did not seize when Crete was occupied by the Germans in 1941, when the Libertarian Action Committee was founded here. However, the most important moment in the history of the village was took place after the kidnapping of the German general Kraipe and its transfer to Anogia, before he was moved via the southern shores of Rethymno to Africa. The Germans surrounded the village and massacred all men who had not managed to escape in Psiloritis, before tearing all 800 houses in the village.